Thursday, January 10, 2013

Conservatives for Evolution

In 2006 I decided to check out Godless: The Church of Liberalism by Ann Coulter because I have read a few of her columns on Townhall and I think she is funny. However, after reading her attacks on evolution on the jacket I decided I wouldn't read her book. I am surprised that someone with a law degree could have such a poor understanding of science. I decided to do a search to find other conservatives who support evolution and I came to Conservatives Against Intelligent Design. This also led me to another related site: Darwin Central. Intelligent design should not be taught in a science class because it cannot be tested.

I liked this quote from the CAID website:

"Hey, I’ve said on here before that ID might very well be true. It just ain’t science. What ID hasn’t done is passed the scientific tests necessary to take it from pure speculation to scientific theory. Being open-minded is all fine and good, but there’s a reason the scientific method exists. There’s a reason why the process of corroborating a hypothesis is every grad student’s nightmare. And there’s a reason we don’t spend much time on abiogenesis in school."

I believe that God has guided evolution, but since it can't be proven it should not be taught in a science class. I found an article that goes along with my beliefs:
"In just a few million years, one area of the human genome seems to have evolved about 70 times faster than the rest of our genetic code since humans and chimps diverged from their common ancestor."

"However, the reported genetic change is so fast that Clark said he has a hard time believing it, unless something unusual happened in a mutation. It's not part of normal evolution, he said."

In Utah, Educators support teaching evolution:
"I personally fervently . . . believe in intelligent design. (But) I believe it needs to be taught in the home and perhaps, religious institutions," board member Bill Colbert said. "It's a personal issue. Even if we try to teach it in a classroom, (I don't think teachers) can do justice to various beliefs that are out there in our communities."

Some things science can't address, but that doesn't mean they aren't true. I think more people need to understand that evolution and faith are not incompatible. The Catholic Church seems to have good positions on science and life: they support evolution, are opposed to In Vitro Fertilization because it leads to more embryo deaths than natural conception, and are against the death penalty in some instances. I am usually in favor of the death penalty, but am starting to reconsider because of how drawn out the process is. I have only attended a Catholic Church once and it did not interest me enough to go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home