Monday, January 14, 2013

Genetic Genealogy

I have had an interest in genealogy for a few years after I decided to discover how I was related to a famous Utah pioneer. My interest in genealogy surely comes from being raised in a Mormon family. My maternal grandmother has a strong passion for genealogy. In the last few years genetics has started being used to prove relationships for which there are no public records or unreliable sources. Some people use it to discover missing links in their family trees. I was just curious to see what I could find out.

The first test I did was for SMGF. They are trying to collect samples from 100,000 people from across the world to see how everyone is connected and to decipher new genetic patterns. They plan to release their findings to the public once they have reached their goal. The test is free and they send you a special mouthwash to collect a sample from you. They do not tell you any genetic information, but they do keep a database on their website that you can search if you pay for a test from another agency. I participated to help them reach their goal and possibly to help others with their genealogy search. They require that you send in three generations of your ancestors with birthdate and birthplace.

Recently I took a genetic test from Family Tree DNA. They have the largest database of any genetic genealogy company with 401,555 samples. The test I did was for the Y chromosome and mitochondria DNA. Y-DNA tests your father's direct male line and mtDNA tests your mother's direct female line. The test was $391 with shipping, plus you have to pay another $0.52 to have it mailed back. The test is done with a cheek scraper. There are three of them in order to ensure the best sample. The test is mildly irritating, but not too bad. They will send genetic information and contact information for other people that I am related to. Then I will be able to use SMGF's database.

Here are several articles about the subject:
X and Y and You
New Light on Origins of Ashkenazi in Europe
Family tree project helps trace deep history
Could DNA Tests Solve the Mystery Of Miles Standish?
Jewish "again": DNA unlocks secrets in New Mexico

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home